IAP2SA was recently invited to attend a roundtable hosted by the Gauteng Legislature on 3 March 2015.
The Theme for the day: “Reflecting on 20 years of Public Participation from 1994- 2014”.
The roundtable was attended by official delegates from the Legislature, officials from the Department of the Public Protectors office, as well as representatives from various NGO and civil society organisations.
IAP2 SA’s incoming Chairperson, Lerato Ratsoenyane, and our former chair and current representative to the international board, Ken Smith, attended on our behalf. They contributed practical insights based on IAP2’s internationally recognised approach to making public participation more effective.
Participants were given a platform to engage on the following questions:
- What is meaningful public participation?
- What are the preconditions for meaningful public participation?
- How should meaningful public participation be conducted?
- What are the noticeable achievements to be celebrated in terms of public participation?
- What are the current deficits of public participation? • Way forward in the area of public participation.